[OSM-dev] Duplicate data from Tiger import

Ben Gimpert ben at somethingmodern.com
Wed Nov 29 10:45:43 GMT 2006

Hi OSM,

(I've been away from the OSM mailing list for months now -- too little
signal -to- noise, in my never humble opinion.)  Over that same time,
I've been keeping an eye on the TIGER import, handling county
prioritization requests, etc.

Unfortunately, the last rewrite I did of the TIGER import code had some
severe bugs in its disaster recovery code.  (I'm really the only set of
eyes looking at this code, so bugs are inevitable.)  These bugs have
caused the massive way duplication in the OSM database.  Specifically,
since May 09 the TIGER import process has timed-out over 14 thousand
times, and some proportion of those time-outs have caused dupes.
Time-outs ("server is down") are to be expected as a project evolves,
but I quote the number to give you folks an idea of the *need* for
disaster recovery in any long time-scale OSM data-mucking process.

(For those of you who think I'ver been silly to use the API rather than
directly hitting MySQL, note that the problems from these 14k time-outs
would have been *worse* against the raw database.)

Over this same time period, the server on which the TIGER import is
running has had persistent connectivity problems.  Obviously I cannot
complain, since the server has been generously donated for the cause.
But this has made debugging problematic, to say the least.

In the mean time my home computing situation has stablized -- I now have
a flat with decent DSL and a hip Linux box.  So the server hosting
problems should go away.

In the next few days I intend to rewrite the disaster recovery process
(again) to include a database that robustly records exactly which of the
millions of TIGER ways have been imported.  This will also make
reporting on the TIGER import process much easier.  ("How far along is
my favorite county?")

Those of you (Russ, Blars, etc.) who have requested prioritization of
specific US counties will still be first on the list.

Steve -- please drop everything done by the "ben_tiger" user, as I'll be
re-doing the import as "ben_tiger101".

If anyone would like to help writing Ruby for the TIGER import, please
contact me off-list.

		Thanks,
		Ben