[OSM-dev] Should I limit size of GPX files?

Jason Reid osm at bowvalleytechnologies.com
Tue Jul 29 17:31:36 BST 2008

Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> I travelled 4km and tracker this using Noni GPSPlot. After that I
> exported .gpx file and it used over 700 points for theses 4km.
>
> Is this OK to upload so big gpx file? Or should I change configuration
> of Noni GPSPlot somehow?
>
> I dodn't find answer for this on
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide_1.2

The general rule that most people use is to configure the GPS to only
record 1 track point per second. 700 points over 4km is a bit high
(average of roughly 1 track point per 5m, so if you were driving 50km/h
that would be roughly 3 track points a second) so I would look into
changing that setting a bit.

-Jason Reid