[OSM-dev] Minute Diffs Broken

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue May 5 12:50:09 BST 2009

Hi,

Matt Amos wrote:
>> But being able to make a bunch of edits and process them in one
>> transaction is new with 0.6 and not something that users actually
>> demanded to have - it is something we thought could come in handy.
>
> doesn't it make the client coding much simpler to have an
> all-or-nothing upload action? that was the assumption that i was
> working under

It does, but if the choice is either a more difficult client or a more
difficult server then the former is easier to do.

> can JOSM split the single upload into multiple uploads within the same
> changeset? perhaps having a tunable parameter to isolate "large" items
> into their own separate upload?

Certainly something we should think about.

> 1. user on a slow connection hits "save", changeset created, client
> begins diff upload
> 2. server starts transaction
> 3. client sends first element, which the server parses and saves

So you are parsing the XML document incrementally? I always assumed that
since Rails cannot do streaming XML output, neither would it be able to
read XML that way.

Bye
Frederik