[OSM-dev] Merkaator port to Android

Jaak Laineste jaak.laineste at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 11:02:58 GMT 2011

My own experience with Vespucci on phone is that with first touch I
moved accidentally some node and there is no undo feature, so it was
unusable for me and I did not go much futher. Another major drawback
is no (proper) preset system, best if JOSM preset XMLs could be
reused. But overall it might be better approach to fix these things
than porting full JOSM or Merkaator to Android and find out that in
reality they are not usable on the go. There are actually two
different usage modes of tablets: as big-screen portable device, used
right in the field; or as a slim laptop replacement, used in the
office. For the second case porting of full editor (with some
touch-specific tweaks, not all have full keyboard for tablet) would
make perfect sense. And for the field you need offline, basic map
drafting, GPS track saving, geotagged image storage: more like digital
version walking papers, not map data editor. Totally different things.
Vespucci is somewhere in the middle and as it often happens with
"middle way" approach, does not serve none of the cases really well.

So I would have two questions:
a) Would there be enough users for full editor (Merkaator in
particular, as it should be technically easier to port) on "Android
netbooks"? This would be for office, not so much for field use.
b) Would there be enough interest for new Walking Papers for Android
or iPad (and which of them) app? This would have following key
capabilities:
 - preload offline background map. Simplified BW style like in Walking
Papers, also WMS extracts.
 - drawing draft lines and notes on top of that, saves it as GPX which
needs postprocessing on JOSM
 - easy graphical tag editing with presets, saves OSM changes, can be
postprocessed with JSOM, but in simpler cases good enough for direct
upload.
 - save GPS track
 - maybe take and save photos, with geotags
 - no graphical way editing, only point moving for standalone nodes
(like in MapZen POI collector)
 - scalable also for phones, but best with tablets

Jaak

Jaak Laineste