[OSM-dev] IP limit issue when doing mapping parties on a network with NAT

Andreas Hammershøj AHA at dcf.dk
Mon Dec 12 14:54:46 GMT 2011

Hi Dev,
back in May I posted the following question in help.openstreetmap.org:  http://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/5438/how-to-avoid-potlatch-2-download-limit-when-editing-on-multiple-computers-on-a-network
I was directed to this mailing list via the thread.

Short version is that I work for the Danish Cyclists Federation and organize courses in OSM editing around the country. Our activities are however made difficult by the download limit per IP address encountered when using Potlatch2. Almost all networks we encounter are firewall protected or use some other form of NAT. With 10 or 15 newbies sharing one IP, we quickly hit the wall, which resulted in some both annoying and embarrassing situations before we figured out what the problem was. I'm told the best solution would be to lock the limit to user accounts instead of IP-addresses.

Any news of progress on this subject?

So far we've tried to handle the problem by using a number for 3G modems, but this solution is both expensive, unstable and bad for my nerves.

Best regards,
Andreas Hammershøj
OpenStreetMap Community Manager for the Danish Cyclists Federation
Our route planner: www.cyclistic.dk<http://www.cyclistic.dk>