[OSM-dev] Converting OSM Mapnik stylesheet to Cascadenik or Carto

AJ Ashton aj.ashton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 01:55:49 BST 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Has anyone done a proper comparison between MapCSS and Carto? Does Carto
> have any advantages? It has always been my impression that Carto was rather
> a niche "not invented here" thing whereas half the world supports MapCSS,
> and maybe one should simply fix TileMill to use MapCSS like everyone else
> does and be done with it. But that is a very prejudiced view from a hardcore
> OSM guy, and maybe Carto is more widely used outside OSM circles (or maybe
> Carto has the superior design or super cool features that MapCSS hasn't); I
> wouldn't know. Hence my question if there's a good comparison anywhere,
> ideally by someone who wasn't involved in the development of either.

I suppose the main thing is that Carto is not a 'map styling language'
but a 'Mapnik styling language', and stays very close to Mapnik
rendering concepts, which in many ways are very different and even
incompatible with MapCSS. There were other reasons to create yet
another styling language but I am not the best person to explain them
(and this list probably isn't the place anyway).

At any rate, I too would be interested to see a proper comparison as
my MapCSS knowledge is mostly limited to what is on its wiki page, not
anything practical.

--
AJ Ashton