[OSM-dev] Carto-based Mapnik OSM Rendering

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 21:03:19 GMT 2012

Hi all,

With some help from the MapBox folks I set up a layer on the OSM US server
that renders from a recent version of the openstreetmap-carto stylesheet
[0] converted to Mapnik XML:

http://tile.osm.osuosl.org/tiles/osm_carto/preview.html#15/41.8813/-87.6299

You can compare this with a (semi-old) version that comes from the existing
Mapnik XML-based stylesheet the Carto one is based on:

http://tile.osm.osuosl.org/tiles/osmus/preview.html#15/41.8813/-87.6299

This server isn't the fastest thing in the world so please don't hammer it
to death. Feel free to use it to help improve the carto-based stylesheet
though! I'm happy to update the stylesheet at any time.

-Ian

[0] https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto