[OSM-dev] Screenshots from OpenStreetMap-Carto spot checking

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 20:29:34 GMT 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Alex Barth <alex at mapbox.com> wrote:
> I did some spot checking on the OSM-Carto style and summarized what I found here in this diary entry. I've opened corresponding issues on the GitHub project where appropriate. From a style perspective the carto port is incredibly close and pretty much good to go. It looks like the performance questions [1,2] that came up are more of a hurdle right now, others can speak more educatedly to this.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/lxbarth/diary/18261
>
> [1] https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/16
> [2] https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/20

I was doing some poking around yesterday and noticed that county
borders (admin_levl=6) aren't being rendered at zoom 9 and 10. But I
do recall some confusion on the existing style between ways and
relations. I don't remember the details but there was some difference
between the zoom level at which ways and relations tagged with
admin_level=6 got rendered. Maybe this caused confusion when porting
to carto? Easy place to see this difference:
http://bl.ocks.org/d/4271706/#9.00/39.4664/-96.9125

Toby