[OSM-dev] GPX Planet Dump

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 15:37:29 UTC 2013

Hi all!

I've been working with Grant to create a planet-wide GPX dump based on the
traces uploaded by OSM users. Based on a test that Grant finished last
night, I think the code is ready to run across the entire planet and would
like feedback from the community.

The sample dump containing the first 25,000 GPX files is here:
http://grant.dev.openstreetmap.org/tmp/gpx-planet-test-003.tar.xz

The code (AND DOCUMENTATION) used for the dump is here:
https://github.com/iandees/planet-gpx-dump

I'm happy to discuss it further here, but if you see any bugs or issues,
please don't hesitate to file them in the GitHub issue tracker.

Some important notes:
- This dump does not include private traces. They weren't included because
of the technical implications required in keeping those traces private.
- This dump only includes the data inserted into the database (lat, lon,
elevation, and timestamp where privacy settings allow). The original files
might contain more information but are not included at this time.

If no show-stoppers come up, we're planning on running this on Monday,
April 8th.

Thanks,
Ian