[HOT] Red Cross Tasks in Northern Haiti

Banick, Robert Robert.Banick at redcross.org
Sat Aug 17 15:59:18 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I'm writing to ask for the assistance of the HOT community with a couple of tasks that the American Red Cross has added to the tasking manager. We're looking to map the roads, buildings and basic land uses in 6 sections communales in Northern Haiti targeted for extensive Red Cross work over the coming years.

The tasks in question:

Caracol - http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/280
Ferrier & Ouanaminthe - http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/284
Borgne - http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/285
Bahon - http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/286
Ranquitte & La Victoire Tracing Task - http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/287

The overview
We'll be working in over 100 communities within these sections communales and would really like to have accurate, detailed maps of the communities and the surrounding environs. We've planned to work with Haitian Red Cross volunteers and staff to do much of the mapping ourselves, but it's just too much terrain to possibly cover it all on the ground within our timeframe.

As such, we wanted to pitch some of the initial footwork to the crowd. We need your help creating a map "skeleton" of the areas in question: roads, buildings, land uses (in that order of importance). Our teams on the ground will take it from there, creating rich, detailed base maps in OSM for the communities in question. We'll then use these to for a participatory GIS module leveraging OSM within our assessment process.

The end goal? Stronger analysis leading to more responsive programming. And proof of the concept that OSM is a natural fit for participatory GIS work.

Looking forward
Our hope is to build on the work on the excellent work already done by the HOT team in the North of Haiti. We've been in contact with the team from there and hope to work with the local HOT staff trained up during the recent program. More on that as it comes.

Thank you to all who have contributed to these tasks so far.

Best,
Robert

Robert Banick | GIS Coordinator | International Services | Ì American Red Cross<http://www.redcross.org/>
2025 E Street NW, Washington, DC 20006