[HOT] Starting work on the Advance materials of learnOSM.org

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 5 12:10:35 UTC 2013

Hi Maning

Thank you for picking this up and pushing on it. So valuable.

I have a bit of feedback on the content. If this isn't what you're looking for right now, let's keep on the backburner. But here's my responses to looking through the advanced guide now.

First, the division into "Beginner" and "Advanced" seems a little artificial. The "Beginner" section makes sense, but for more advanced topics, to me it makes more sense to group topically, and indicate level of difficulty as an attribute of each section. For instance "More on Editing" (Editing in Detail, Presets, Private Data Store), Coordination (Tasking
Server, Quality Control, Editing the Wiki), Sharing and Map Production
(TileMill, github, maps on a website, WMS), and Sys Admin (postgres set
up, virtural machine set up).

I'd also add a section to dealing with extracts and data products ... ie finding stuff on GeoFabrik, using Overpass Turbo, etc. Also perhaps more on advanced tag development ... what do you do when your tag doesn't exist? That seems a more natural purpose for the section on editing the wiki. Might also want to add a section on producing tiles, but simply link to switch2osm.org

I suggest Potlatch2 guide be updated to iD, only. I also have some material on more configuration of the GPS, and surveying tips, to contribute. And for the OrbView imagery, does it make sense to talk more generally about dealing with imagery, with OrbView as an example?

Thanks
Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron