[HOT] HOT/HDM web rendering

Yohan Boniface yohan.boniface at hotosm.org
Thu Jun 20 21:00:19 UTC 2013

Hi Hotties,

It's time to introduce the work being done on a humanitarian (HDM)
specific rendering.

TL;DR: http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728

The Humanitarian Data Model (HDM [1]) is the name of the HOT initiative
aiming to integrate humanitarian tagging scheme in OSM. As part of the
CAP103 project (Northern Haiti), we took the opportunity to refine it.
There are four components to this work:
- clean the HDM preset, ensure it is well integrated with OpenStreetMap
tagging habits [2]
- develop an extension of the HOT export tool which allows to transform
OSM tags into attributes values from reference existing schemas used by
humanitarian and development field workers
- work on a JOSM style to ease use of the preset [3]
- create a web rendering that highlight the HDM

I will now share with you the work in progress on the web rendering step.

This web rendering has several goals:
One is simply to give editors a way to see the HDM OSM data without
having to use JOSM or a SQL console.
Another is to give humanitarian actors and developing countries a web
map that gives them the information they need, making OSM more and more
useful.
Finally, this is the occasion for HOT to have its own rendering, a nice
way to illustrate its work!

What does "highlight the HDM" means for a rendering? The main principle
is that each tag considered meaningful for the HDM should be rendered.
Here are some examples:
- road surface and smoothness are rendered (eg.
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#15/18.6665/-72.3048 where
a piece of the primary road is unpaved)
- water well are rendered (eg.
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#19/19.67901/-72.12665,
icons work in progress ;) )
- street lamps are rendered (same link)
- The craft tags are rendered
(http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#19/19.67048/-72.12274)
- NGOs have their icons, for example:
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#19/19.75957/-72.20532
Also:
- terrain data is included (will be colorized:
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#11/19.5944/-72.1108)
- zoom until 20 is allowed: the goal is to enable mapping in very
detailed instances. For example, camps (fire hydrants are already
rendered:
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#20/19.76066/-72.20188 )

You can use this link to compare the HDM styling with the official OSM
rendering: http://compare.fluv.io/

All the work is of course open source, hosted on Github [4] (note that
the name is temporary, any thoughts on what the name of the rendering
should eventually officially be is welcome -- HOT Style, perhaps?). It's
a TileMill/CartoCSS project.
Regarding the icons, we are using the Maki [5] project when possible,
plus the OCHA humanitarians icons [6] and Noun Project icons with
compliant license (CC0). Otherwise we design them. In each case, we
follow the Maki design rules [7].

As you can see, the actual demo tile service is focused on Haiti. This
is for two reasons: firstly, this work is part of the HOT current
haitian project (CAP103); secondly, the cleaned HDM has been first
tested/used on the Haitian Northern corridor. We will add more countries
ASAP.

Thanks in advance for your feedback on the work. The preferred way for
giving feedback is to open issues on the Github page, but emails and IRC
(#hot) are also good. Regardless of the source, we'd love feedback  :)

Thanks!

Yohan, for the CAP103 team

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags
[2]