[josm-dev] sac_scale in JOSM - RFC for change of translation

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Thu Nov 25 09:14:57 GMT 2010

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010, Fichtennadel wrote:

> I see your point, but if you look at the template it's not possible to put a
> long description in the list of values for sac_scale. And the current
> "information" is misleading, so the idea has been "better none than wrong".
> There is already a link to the wiki at the bottom of the template window,
> which links to "path" and from there to "sac_scale".

If your descriptions are so misleading, then find others. OSM is no "read
the wiki and when you understood it start" project. It is a "start and
work" project. When your classification is misleading, so users use it
wrong in your eyes, then classifications needs to be reworked.

> And we are already relying on the users to actively search for the meaning
> of tracktype = gradeN, so this seems to work ok and is feasible.

No. The grades are translated as well and they have a easy definition. In
usage of these is in no way accurate.

> I'm also not totally happy with this solution, but we didn't come to any
> better one during the discussion.

Actually I oppose this solution, as it is against the basic idea of how
OSM works.