[josm-dev] License Change Phase III

Paul Hartmann phaaurlt at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 12 21:31:39 BST 2011

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    when the API is switched to license change phase 3, any attempt to
> open a changeset by someone who hasn't yet either agreed to, or
> rejected, the contributor terms will be met with a 403 Forbidden error
> code.
>
> Will JOSM display the content of that error message to the user (so that
> the user knows why they got the message and that they need to log in to
> openstreetmap.org etc.etc.)?
>
> Should we make an effort to catch the error in order to allow a
> translation?

No, I just did some tests and to the best of my knowledge, the following will happen:

 * If an Error field is present in the header, JOSM will print it to the command line, but *not* the response body.
 * Otherwise it will print the response body to the command line.
 * There will be a message dialog with the text:

"Authorisation at the OSM server with the OAuth token 'null' failed.
 The token is not authorised to access the protected
 resource 'http://api06.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/changeset/*****/upload'.
 Please launch the preferences dialog and retrieve another OAuth token."

   Note, that this is shown even if no OAuth is involved, so the message is bogus.

Suggested course of action:
 * Fix the message and make a release ASAP.
 * Wait for the server change to happen and check if it really works. Make a point release if not.

Especially helpful would be an opportunity to test on the development server or at least have a prepared git branch of the rails code prior to the change.

Paul