[Legal-general] question re. OSMF's attitude to hosting alternative licence servers

TimSC mapping at sheerman-chase.org.uk
Wed Jul 21 12:35:22 BST 2010

Attn: OSMF board, SteveC, and everyone really,

Another question which has probably been discussed, but I am asking to
be brought up to speed (again):

What is OSMF's attitude to hosting other servers under different license
regimes? According to the server wiki page, there are unused hardware
but I would not be surprised if they might be needed if other hardware
fails. Given this mailing list is hosted on OSMF hardware, I suppose you
cannot be completely against it. Obviously, additional servers have the
potential problem of fragmenting and complicating the OSM landscape. How
do plan to balance the project's cohesiveness against the (rather
unquantified) demand for PD or a CC-BY-SA fork?

Or are you going to see how relicencing of major imports are going to
go? This could have a major impact for the demand for alternative
licenced servers, so we might want to avoid acting precipitously.

I saw in the legal-general mailing list, Landon has been investigating
other hosting possibilities, which we should not ignore either. I am
interested in the rails port approach, btw.

TimSC