[OSM-legal-talk] moving up the stack

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Mar 6 18:31:47 GMT 2007

A few people have put forward the view about companies/individuals
wanting to make use of the geodata and it being FLOSS, but derived
cartographic work not so. It seems to me that this is an argument of
whether OSM is a complete end-to-end solution from GPS tracks to
finished maps all under one license, or whether it limits itself to
"just the data, ma'am".

I'd always though that OSM would push people 'up the stack' and in a
sense this is an example. Instead of worrying about buying data from
someone, Carl the Cartographer could instead concentrate on the pretty
map. What I don't understand here, is why should we limit ourselves to
just one rung up the stack?

The model seems to be, nobody will publish my CC-BY-SA map/atlas, Carl
the Cartographer needs ownership. Surely if Paul the Publisher won't
publish it then Eric the Entrepreneur will?

have fun,