[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] License to kill

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Fri Mar 6 13:12:47 GMT 2009

On Mar 6, 2009, at 1:51 AM, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> 80n wrote:
>> I support Frederik's view that the community is the most valuable
>> aspect
>> of OSM.
>
> Um, I'm not arguing against that. All I'm disputing is this silly
> little
> notion that maps automatically lose all value after a year or two.

They automatically START to lose value once you separate your derived
map from the community.  In particular -- and this is the important
part -- any proprietary improvements you make to the map are the
beginning of the loss of value of deriving your map from OSM.  The
data is as much protected by the process as it is by the license.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson