[OSM-legal-talk] Contributor Terms latest

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Tue Feb 23 22:25:31 GMT 2010

On 23/02/10 21:16, Mike Collinson wrote:
> - British spelling "licence" noun used. (can anyone confirm that I am
> right in leaving verb license, sublicense as is, I am too long abroad).

That is correct. In standard (British :-) English, licence is the noun
and license is the verb.

> - defining active contributor as a "natural person". This serves the
> purpose of "no bots". OPEN QUESTION: We are not sure about this one as
> this it excludes corporations or other legally organised entities. If
> they have multiple accounts for individual staff, it has the reverse
> effect. Perhaps not a good idea? Comments welcome.

I think that if a corporation has multiple people actively working on
the map, that's fair enough - multiple votes. I don't think you'd have
more scope for sockpuppetry than you might with normal users. ("Hey, I
can get 12 votes instead of 1 by editing with a different account every
month...") Well, perhaps it would be harder to detect because you'd
_expect_ them all to have the same IP...

Gerv