[OSM-legal-talk] Copyright and license page, how to do the details

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 14:11:44 GMT 2012

I am reading the new copyright and license page, but don't find it
very clear to understand.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright

"How to credit OpenStreetMap

We require that you use the credit “© OpenStreetMap contributors”. You
must also make it clear that the data is available under the Open
Database License, and if using our map tiles, that the cartography is
licensed as CC-BY-SA. You may do this by linking to this copyright
page. Alternatively, and as a requirement if you are distributing OSM
in a data form, you can name and link directly to the license(s)...
For a browsable electronic map, the credit should appear in the corner
of the map."

To whom applies the requirement to credit in the corner of the map,
just to users of the datatiles or to all users of OSM data presenting
it in some form of browsable electronic map? Where does this
requirement come from? Or am I misinterpreting this, and "should" is
not a requirement but a recommendation?
Crosschecking with the legal FAQ it seems that an about-box/page would
be fine as well:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ#3a._I_would_like_to_use_OpenStreetMap_maps._How_should_I_credit_you.3F
"For a browsable electronic map (e.g. embedded in a web page or mobile
phone application), the credit should appear in the corner of the map,
as commonly seen with map APIs/libraries such as Google Maps, or an
about box/page.".

cheers,
Martin