[OSM-legal-talk] [cc-community] CC-BY, does the anti-TPM clause apply to adaptations?

Sarah Pearson sarah at creativecommons.org
Wed Jan 23 00:06:24 GMT 2013

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for raising this question. The short answer is no, we do not think
CC BY is incompatible with the ODbL. People can remix BY-licensed databases
and license them under the ODbL.

The reason why we think they are compatible requires a bit of a longer
answer. First, we should explain how we think about compatibility. A
license is compatible with another license if you can take work licensed
under the first license, adapt it, and then license the rights you have in
the adaptation under the second license. As a legal matter, this is allowed
as long as the first license: (1) allows you to create adaptations, and (2)
does not dictate that you license your rights to an adaptation under
particular terms and conditions. CC BY v3 meets both of these conditions.
So long as a licensee appropriately attributes the BY licensor when they
share their adaptation, they may apply the ODbL (or any other license) to
their copyright in the adaptation.

As a practical matter, compatibility is slightly more complicated because
of the concept I explained in my prior
email<http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-community/2013-January/008256.html>on
this thread: an adaptation is always subject to two copyrights. When
those copyrights are licensed on different terms, it can be difficult for
those using the adaptation to sort out their obligations. In this context,
someone using the ODbL-licensed adaptation would have to comply with both
the ODbL and CC BY (to the extent they make a use of the adaptation that
implicates both copyrights).

The TPM restriction in CC BY does not complicate reuse from this
perspective. Although the ODbL permits application of TPMs if a free
version is distributed in parallel, it by no means requires application of
TPMs. Therefore, it would be easy to comply with both licenses by simply
not applying TPMs to the adaptation.

You also asked whether the new clause in the current working language of
Version 4.0 about how to license adaptations of BY-licensed works changes
anything. The answer to that question is no, the clause only makes explicit
what I have explained above. The license applied to the adaptation must be
one that allows someone using the adaptation to simultaneously comply with
CC BY.

This email only scratches the surface of all of the interesting and
complicated issues relating to compatibility. We are in the process of
developing a more in-depth explanation of these issues. Please look for
more on that in the near future.

best,
Sarah

Sarah Hinchliff Pearson, Senior Counsel