[OSM-newbies] house names vs numbers?

Andy Robinson blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 26 19:00:13 GMT 2007

On 26/12/2007, evan <evan at protest.net> wrote:
> So i've started working on making a map of the beach town (err fishing
> village) i'm staying in for the summer. (it's summer down here right
> now). It's going ok, i've done some test traces, uploaded them, etc...
> It's a small town with only a couple dozen streets.
>
> One thing i noticed was that in this town there aren't house numbers.
> Each house has a unique name, the names don't repeat for the town.
> There is no mail service to the houses, if you want mail here you have
> it sent to the post office which also serves as the newspaper stand
> and bookstore. Just address it to the person's name, Punta del Diablo,
> Rocha, Uruguay. Then they have to know to go check the post office, or
> somebody will come find them. It's small town.
>
> It's not %100 correct to say there aren't street numbers. Some houses,
> the ones with land line phones (a small minority) do have addresses
> because the telephone company requires it in order to put in an order.
> No houses ever list their address, they all just use a name instead.
>
> There's a flash map that somebody did of the town here:
> http://www.portaldeldiablo.com.uy/modules/mapas/mapa_ubicacion.php
>
> My question is this, in making a map of the town, how should i take in
> to account house names? Should i just ignore them, are they POI's?
>
> Also there is only one paved road in town, it's 2 lane, but has no
> painted lane lines on it. What category of road is it? What about
> gravel roads, tracks, and streets which go through the sand?
>
> thanks so much,
> rabble

A small concise area such as this is a good way to showcase what can
be done and the issues that arise so it would be good to see house
name data as poi's. As a guide for the one road since its paved I
would probably tag it as secondary since most of the other roads will
presumably be tracks? However if you can find any classification or
reference for the roads and tracks you might decide to tag them
differently depending upon their prominence.

Cheers

Andy (blackadder)
--
Andy Robinson