[osmosis-dev] How to merge 2 osm files

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Tue Jul 20 06:16:52 BST 2010

Hi Sam,

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 6:09 AM, Sam Vekemans
<acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi there,
> I was wondering how i can use osmosis to merge 2 osm files.
>
> I use Windows XP and want to use the command line for it.
>
> My guess is this
>
> osmosis --rx file2.osm --rx file1.osm --m --wx merged.osm

That looks correct.

> Yet it does not work on my computer.

Why?  What is going wrong?  Are you seeing an error?  Are you getting an
unexpected result file?

> When preforming this task, i need to make file1.osm and file2.osm in
> the 'osmosis' directory.
>
> Perhaps i need to use
>
> java -jar osmosis.jar --rx file2.osm --rx file1.osm --m --wx merged.osm

java -jar won't work.  You definitely need to use the osmosis.bat launcher.

> and i get a 'noClassDefFoundError
>
> similar to the errors in this thread
> http://www.mail-archive.com/newbies@openstreetmap.org/msg01252.html
>
> Unfortunatly, the wiki page tells users to download a planet.osm file.
>  But that is just 1 function of the osmosis program, and not what im
> looking for.
>
> I dont have a planet.osm extract, nor a local PostgreSQL rails port
> database.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis
>
> Im just looking to take 2 .osm files and bring them into 1 .osm file.

You're on the right track with the --m (also --merge) command.  We just need
to find out why that isn't working for you.

Brett