[Rebuild] CT rebuild, not ODbL rebuild

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jan 19 08:12:00 GMT 2012

Hi,

      I had almost forgotten an important issue that Andrzei just
brought up (again) on legal-talk and that we must keep in mind: What we
are doing here is a "CT rebuild"; we're making a version of the database
that has only data from users who have agreed to the CT.

We are *not* doing an "ODbL rebuild", because it is legally possible
that there is data where the contributors have agreed to the CT but
which is not ODbL compatible. If we rebuild the database simply on the
basis of who has agreed to the CT and who hasn't then we cannot release
the result under ODbL.

If we wanted to do an "ODbL rebuild" then we'd have to have additional
information about which changesets contain CC-BY-SA data even though
they are created by someone agreeing to the CT. (When you agree to the
CT, you only have to affirm that your data is compatible with the
*current* license, not with any future license.) We don't currently have
such lists, or know a method how to acquire them.

This is a legal-talk topic and not one for the rebuild list, but since I
myself am guilty of using "ODbL compatible" and "CT compatible" as
synonyms in the past, I thought I'd set that right here.

Bye
Frederik