[Rebuild] Coordinates of deleted nodes

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 07:44:49 BST 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/12/2012 12:53 AM, Ed Loach wrote:
>>
>> It's early here, so I may be missing something, but why would JOSM
>> be doing stuff to deleted nodes?
>

> If you use Overpass API to download, e.g., a railway network that has been
> modified recently, it will give outdated data because diffs have been turned
> off. This may include nodes that have since been deleted. If you try to
> update any of the ways containing these nodes, JOSM gives an error.

Also, if you're in a mapping party environment or just an area with a
lot of mapping activity, if someone deletes a node, commits to the
database and then someone else uses the "update data" feature,
exceptions will get thrown.

It also broke the reverter plugin.
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/7845

Given the circumstances, this may still have been the right thing to
do but changing the API without notice is definitely Not A Good Thing.

Toby