[Strategic] introductions

Eugene Usvitsky eugene at usvitsky.com
Thu May 27 11:27:44 BST 2010

Hi All,

It seems I'm the last one for introduction so sorry for a delay.

I'm Eugene, I've been following OpenStreetMap progress since mid-2006
and taking active part in it from the beginning of
2008. I'm also the member of OSMF since April 2009 (AFAIK, I'm the
only Russian in OSMF :) and owner of www.openstreetmap.ru domain name.

I have always been more interested in strategic development of the OSM
than in its city- or even country-level. While watching our Russian
community grow (now it's around 3000 members), it became clear that
some questions can't be solved internally or even by posting them to
talk@ or other global mailing lists. OSMF is doing their job great but
they can't do everything. And now, when the project reached some kind
of stability and popularity, these questions will rise again and
again.

I see my and this working group task as to provide a bridge between
active OSM members (mappers and developers) and potential OSM
"clients" - people, who could use OSM, but don't know or can't do it
now. We should make OSM more attractive and easy-to-use by people who
don't know what Merkaartor projection or GIS is, coordinate current
forces and provide ideas (and funding, if necessary) for new ones.

Best regards,
Eugene