[Strategic] Proposal to include oepnv-karte as a tile layer to osm.org

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 16:01:24 BST 2011

Hello,

As part of the strategic working group we created a policy (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Strategic_working_group/New_Tile_Layer_Guidelines
) for adding new tile layers to the layer chooser on the homepage of
osm.org.

I would like to present the first proposal for a addition of a further
layer, the tiles of the öpnvkarte (A public transport map) (
http://www.xn--pnvkarte-m4a.de/ ), and request their inclusion into osm.org.

Two of the main aims to include more layers into the layer chooser on
osm.org were

a) to show case to newcomers ( both users and mappers ) that OSM is
about the diversity of things one can do with the data and that it is
not only the one "mapnik" map and thus more than e.g. google maps.

b) by showing more and different details on maps on osm.org encourage
mappers to map and tag those features and reward them by showing their
effort by being renderd on a map on osm.org.

I believe that the öpnvkarte achieves both these aims and thus is a good
candidate for inclusion, as it helps to show tagging of public transport
tagging schemas (like bus and train routes), which so far is not
represented on any of the map tiles included on osm.org so far.

With respect to the policy, I believe it full fills all of the required
criteria:

These criteria are:

- Internally supported

The author of the style and the operator of the corresponding server
infrastructure, Melchior Moos, is happy for his tiles to be included on
osm.org ( ) and is CC'd to this email.

- Global scope and coverage

The map is global

- Capable of meeting traffic demands

This is perhaps the most tricky to assess, as there is not a good
indication of how much additional load adding a layer to osm.org will
cause. However, the server is connected via a 100 Mbit/s network
connection and with the current load appears to perform fairly well (at
least where the tiles have already been rendered)

- Reliable service

The tile server is hosted in a datacenter and with the support of the
author should be reliable enough to provide a service comparable to the
other layers on osm.org

- Up to date data

The database is updated on a minutely basis. Tile expiry currently
occurs on a three day cycle. So one can get minutely up-to-date tiles if
manually requested and all other tiles should automatically be no older
than a few days, well within the two weeks allowed period.

In addition to the required criteria, there are a few additional
desiderata that the Oepnv Karte mostly achieves.

- Unique

Currently there is no public transport layer included on osm.org, and
none of the tile layers show this data in the same detail as the oepnv
karte, thus providing unique additional data.

Interesting

There has been a quite a bit of interest in public transport mapping in
osm, including several collaborations / contacts between OSM and local
public transport operators (e.g. NAPTAN in the UK and VRS in Germany).
Thus a public transport layer, helping to improve this tagging, should
be of considerable interest to OSM.

Non-commercial

I don't know the exact details of the Oepnv-Karte, but my understanding
is that it is a non-commercial hobby by an individual from the osm
community.

Free and Open

Again I can't guarantee this point, but my understanding is that
currently the style sheet of the oepnv karte is not published and
therefore not free and open. However, this is the case for other tile
layers on osm.org too, and is only desirable but not necessary.

Therefore overall, I believe the tiles of the Oepnv-Karte meet the
necessary criteria of the New Tile Layer policy and would like to
request their inclusion.

If it helps, I would be happy to provide a patch to the rails_port with
the necessary changes to add a tile layer.

In accordance to policy, I have sent this email to the technical working
group for the final evaluation of the inclusion criteria and its
acceptance. I also thought this might be of interest to the SWG, to see
how it's policy works out, which is why I CC'd the email there too.

Best wishes,

Kai