[Tagging] RFC: new key Landcover

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 15:11:32 GMT 2010

I set up a proposal for a new key landcover.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landcover

It deprecates very few old values (mud and sand from natural, grass
from landuse).

It is a value to describe physical characteristics of areas. It cannot
be used on linear features (like surface). It is an additional tag
that is orthogonal to landuse and natural. Natural is beeing redefined
as pure geographical feature. E.g. an object could be natural=glacier,
landcover=ice.

Or natural=beach, landcover=sand
or natural=desert, landcover=rock

Please comment here or on the comment page. Please do not modify the
proposal page for other stuff then grammar/typos. I will try to
integrate your comments in the proposal.

cheers,
Martin