[Tagging] lanes tag dispute

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 19:19:09 BST 2011

My take on lanes is that it should be the number of continuous lanes
along a road. This impacts traffic flow and road capacity which allows
routers to make more informed decisions. Turning lanes don't increase
overall road capacity. Rather, they prevent it from dropping at busy
intersections. As such, I do not split and tag ways where turning
lanes are. I could see turning lanes being useful information though
but lumping them in with the total lane count actually obscures
information. I would rather see them tagged with lanes:turning:left=1
or something like that. That way you know exactly what is happening
and routers could easily say "get in the left turning lane.

Toby