[Tagging] Clean-up the seamark landmark tags on the wiki (and perhaps later in the db)

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 10:54:44 GMT 2012

Hi all,

By accident, I found the tag "landmark=cemetery" on the wiki:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landmark%3Dcemetery

Then discovered that 9 cemeteries are tagged with "landuse=cemetery" +
"landmark=cemetery". Some have even an additionnal "seamark:type =
landmark" :
http://overpass-api.de/api/xapi_meta?*[landmark%3Dcemetery]

Then I discovered that "seamark=landmark" exists and is a bit a
duplicate of "seamark:type=landmark":
"seamark:type=landmark" : 1928
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:seamark:type)
"seamark=landmark" : 221
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:seamark%3Dlandmark)
(source: http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=seamark%3Dlandmark)
Overall, the "seamark:type" key is used 107189 times and "seamark" key
14373 times. These numbers are just indicators, most of them are
probably coming from imports.

What I'm asking now:
- why the hell we find such tagging :
means:
"landuse=cemetery" + "landmark=cemetery" + "seamark=landmark" +
"seamark:type=landmark" + "seamark:landmark:category = cemetery"

where we could say exactly the same with e.g.:
"landuse=cemetery" + "seamark=landmark" ?

- could we clean-up the wiki by deprecating one of the "landmark"
categories (I don't care personaly which one). And please, avoid
duplicates with already existing tags (like "cemetery" already tagged
with "landuse=cemetery") ?

- I have the feeling that these keys are coming from the OpenSeaMap
projet (correct me if I'm wrong) and it is not the first time they
create their own parallel tagging scheme with incomplete documentation
or duplicates like here or even no documentation at all like the
"obstacle=bridge" tag. I hope the OpenSeaMap contributors/tags
designers will take more care about the "OpenLandMap" community in the
future ...

Pieren