[Tagging] Observations on use of the diet: tag

Murry McEntire murry.mcentire at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 00:29:58 UTC 2013

As part of the shop=bakery,bread_bakery,confectionery proposal voting,
several have commented that the diet:<diet_type>=* tag should be used
instead of <diet_type>=* tag  (e.g., diet:gluten_free=* instead of
gluten_free=*. Since the diet:<diet_type> did previously pass a formal
vote, I'm inclined to listen but the case would be more convincing if the
amenity=restaurant didn't list gluten_free=*, lactose_free=*, organic=* (as
well as the diet=* tag) and if the diet=* web page listed diet:lactose_free
and diet:organic as options.  The restaurant page may explain why
gluten_free=* is used more than diet:gluten_free=* in OSM (52 vs. 35).

Is organic part of the diet: tag or does it stand alone?

If tags are added to diet=*, I believe lactose_free is in common use
whereas lacto_free is not so much. Also consider that a product made with
lactose removed dairy would accurately be lactose_free but not lacto_free.
Lactose content, not dairy origin,  is the important tag for those with
lactose intolerance. Is Lactofree being a brand name any reason to avoid
likenesses (lacto_free) in OSM tags?

I've got my hands full with my proposal (and Colorado fire area mapping),
so someone else should straighten out use of the diet: tag on the wiki.

Murry