[talk-au] Geoscience Data

stevez at tpg.com.au stevez at tpg.com.au
Tue Jan 8 22:10:18 GMT 2008

My (very humble opinion) is that fixing existing data is a real pain.
You have to find what is wrong, then decide if you're going to be "stepping on someone's toes" if
you touch it. If you decide to proceed, fixing ways often lead to splitting and deleting bits of ways
to add roundabouts, one-way segments, checking for correct attributes of everything - and
remember that a road may be split into multiple ways already, etc.. Unless I'm only fixing a
poorly aligned (i.e. Yahoo image traced) way, then fixing existing ways can take much longer
than doing it from scratch. I've tackled a few, but I've also decided that a few were too much
work and given up!
I agree with nm7s9 that if you have routing applications in mind when creating OSM data, you
think very differently about creating and/or mass-uploading of roads, etc!
I reckon everyone should test their data with gosmore before being satisfied with it ;-)