[talk-au] school zones

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 05:22:30 BST 2009

--- On Mon, 22/6/09, Ben Kelley <ben.kelley at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are probably 2 things here:
> 1) It is a school zone
> 2) The speed limit is different on this stretch of road at
> different times of the day

For number 2, there is 2 parts to it.

1) it is a school zone
2 a) times in effect
2 b) different maxspeed

Maybe I'm assuming the restrictions that exist are too simple to cover this situation, as I don't see anything that matches what I would classify as a speed restricted zone.

It's not a type of vehicle restriction or most other restrictions listed. hour_on/hour_off could apply, but you'd end up with:

hour_on=08:30;14:30
hour_off=09:30;15:30

So would it be best to look at this as a new type of restriction, listing the maxspeed for the school zone when active, rather than yes?

eg

highway=residential
maxspeed=50
school_zone=40
hour_on=08:30;14:30
hour_off=09:30;15:30

> I think the latter can be represented by a restriction with
> set times. I don't know of anything that parses these
> yet, but that would seem to be the way to do it.

People asked to have the current speed limit displayed in my speedo app, so this is where I'm going with this.