[OSM-talk-be] Zones 30 in Belgium

Benoit Coumont benoitcoumont at bawet.org
Mon Nov 19 09:52:50 UTC 2012

Hello everybody,

I found this file with the localisations of zones 30 in Belgium (streets
where the speed is limited to 30 km/h). It's collected by some people on
this forum of gps users with the objective to see them on their gps
software: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=123619

I writed to Jean Herman (hermanjean57 at hotmail.com), the manager of this
collect. He's ok to give this work to the OSM community. He told me the
difficulty to organize the management and confess the slow death of this
project. He didn't know OpenStreetMap, so I presented to him the
advantages of OSM could give for this work. But I'm not sure he's ready
or able to use OSM on his gps.

Anyway, there are data we could use. But it's saved on a strange file
(ov2) non recognized by the famous gspbabel. He use a free (free as a
free beer and not as freedom of speech) software for windows called
POIedit. I only use Linux on my computers so I couldn't do the
conversion. Could somebody do that and post the result on the wiki?

If someone put this on the OSM database for his neighborhood, for his
district and for his city, we could get quickly a map of speed
limitations... Itoworld published a map to see that :
http://www.itoworld.com/map/35#fullscreen

I'm particularly convinced convinced that speed moderation is the best
way to rediscover conviviality in our residential streets. Also, I added
the 6 zones 30, corresponding to the seven school sites, in my
neighborhood (St-Léonard, Liège) to demonstrate to politicals and
residents that a wide zone 30 extended area would be more readable and
consistent. An European petition is just launched to invite EU to take
position. Informations and signs are on this website : http://30kmh.eu

Benoit