[Talk-GB] building shapes from OS Street View

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon May 24 14:56:42 BST 2010

Robert Whittaker (OSM) wrote:
> My understanding is that the current terms from OS are
> incompatible with ODbL (in particular the part that allows
> produced works to be released to the public domain).

This is a canard and I wish it would stop coming up. ODbL does _not_ say
that Produced Works can be released entirely without restriction (US "public
domain").

4.3 is very clear that "if you Publicly Use a Produced Work, You must
include a notice associated with the Produced Work reasonably calculated to
make any Person that uses, views, accesses, interacts with, or is otherwise
exposed to the Produced Work aware that Content was obtained from the
Database, Derivative Database, or the Database as part of a Collective
Database, and that it is available under this License".

OS OpenData is released under an attribution-only licence (compatible with
CC-BY) and the terms of attribution are, in my entirely unqualified view,
satisfied by ODbL 4.3.

cheers
Richard