[Talk-GB] Historical Mapping in OSM

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Mon Sep 27 12:38:47 BST 2010

  On 27/09/2010 12:02, Dave F. wrote:

> I've an abandoned railway in my area where sections of it are now
> invisible having been completely leveled & used as agricultural land.
> Someone's tagged these as railway=abandoned. I don't think they should.

I'd agree with that.  I think that what happened was that (some years
ago) large swathes of former railways were traced from NPE or similar.
Whilst it may be useful to see how old railways are incorporated into
other features, this one certainly don't sound like "abandoned" to me
(I'd tend to use railway=dismantled if there's nothing visible on the
ground).

I think that the "railway=abandoned when they aren't there any more"
problem may be more of a GB issue than elsewhere due to historical NPE
tracing.