[Talk-GB] GB License Change Readiness
frederik at remote.org
Tue Jan 10 19:48:31 GMT 2012
On 01/10/2012 08:22 PM, Ed Avis wrote:
> I joined OSM to help make a
> free Creative Commons (or compatible) map of the world
> I really don't want to just give up and go home unless every possibility has been
> exhausted. It is not too late.
What you really should do is first agree to the Contributor Terms and
*then* continue working, from within OSM, towards a future compatibility
with whatever CC license seems most suitable. I think it would be a good
idea for OSM(F) to take an active role in Creative Commons'
deliberations leading to their future 4.0 set of licenses provided we
have the manpower for that.
Holding back your agreement and essentially forcing people to re-map
those of your contributions they consider valuable - and they will have
to start with that *now*, not in three months - is not a good basis for
your future involvement in this process.
I don't think there's anybody here who believes that no CC license will
ever be suitable for OSM. Personally I would not be surprised if we
should change to a CC license in two or three years time. The
contributor terms give us the option of doing that in a relatively
painless way and without data loss.
For this to happen, we need people in OSM who know about the licenses,
who care about the project, and who want to help shape its future.
You could be one of them.
Or you could give up and go home.
Frederik Ramm ## eMail frederik at remote.org ## N49°00'09" E008°23'33"
More information about the Talk-GB