[OSM-talk-ie] Announcement: Corine 2006 Land Cover Import for Republic of Ireland

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 15:37:45 GMT 2011

Dear mappers,

I wish to announce the planned import of the Corine 2006 land cover
data set for the Republic of Ireland, as outlined here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_Corine_2006_Import

The quick summary: After this import, the map will have lots more
pretty colours corresponding to whether an area is urban, farmland,
pasture, forest, bog etc. Zoom into France or Romania to get an idea
of how this will look.

Pay special attention if you have mapped land cover areas yourself -
parks, forests, lakes, even landuse=residential. As currently planned,
the import will lay down overlapping polygons over the ones you
already mapped - it's messy, but simple. We will then need to do some
- hopefully not much - work to de-duplicate. The benefit of doing this
manually is that we can keep the best version.

If you have an opinion on this import, please voice it promptly so we
have a chance to benefit from your input.

Happy mapping!
Dermot