[Talk-is] (English) Bus System

Thorir Jonsson thorirmar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 12:23:58 GMT 2012

A quick and dirty translation:

Hi,

Guðmundur Bjarni, an acquaintance of mine, has been in contact with Strætó
(the local bus company) regarding getting his hands on bus data to create a
bus app for smartphones.  A few weeks ago he received an excel spreadsheet,
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag6sYRl_wciAdFlOd3lEQU1JZlNKb1NJSmtNb1RfU0E&hl=en_US#gid=0with
the names an locations of all Strætó bus stops, with the instructions
that this was "open information he was free to share"  I converted this to
OSM format, http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=kEkiGAHS, using the following
script: https://github.com/nifgraup/straeto-utilities.

Does anyone have any comments on this conversion of mine, i.e., regarding
"stutt nafn" (short name) becoming name and "langt nafn" (long name)
becoming alt_name?

Also, how would it be best to go about joining this data to the data
already in the database?

Note, it is possible we will be receiving more data, e.g., which routes
stop at each station.  An employee of Strætó bs. is composing a policy for
the distribution of data for public use.  This employee has contact
Guðmundur asking what more information could be useful.

Björgvin.

/end of translation

Þórir Már