[talk-ph] Mapping for flash flood affected areas in Northern Mindanao, Philippines

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 10:23:49 GMT 2011

Dear everyone,

As you are probably aware, Northern Mindanao (specifically Cagayan de
Oro and Iligan) was ravaged by flash floods a few days ago.  As of
last update by the
NDRRMC, 900 people have been killed, over 1,500 have been injured and
almost 285,000 are served inside and outside 62 evacuation centers [0
and 1].

There are several crowdsource mapping initiatives already happening on
various fronts by a government agency [2], academe [3] and local
bloggers in
Iligan city [4]. Moreover, updated hires imagery for CDO and Iligan
should be available soon [5].

Unfortunately, I've seen very little demand for now to provide updated
OSM dataset because the primary focus is on relief and donation (and
rightly so).
However, on the long term basis, I feel that OSM can provide better
data as disaster (of this magnitude) in our county is happening on an
annual basis.

UN-OCHA is the primary UN Agency "leading actors to ensure a coherent
response to emergencies" has a set of operational datasets [6] that
are used
to support the work of humanitarian actors across multiple sectors.
Maybe OSM can provide better data to UN-OCHA?

As we try to get in contact with humanitarian orgs to use OSM data I
encourage you to continue mapping the affected areas using Bing
imagery and
provide further information in the existing crowd source mapping
initiatives I mentioned.

The immediate area affected are the following:
 * Cagayan de Oro - http://osm.org/go/4sXdRch--
 * Iligan - http://osm.org/go/4sVnseK

We can start by adding roads and rivers.

Other existing data that can be used for humanitarian efforts are:

 * Rectified topomaps in my mapwarper ph instance -
http://ec2-50-17-155-14.compute-1.amazonaws.com
 ** CDO Geohazard map -
http://ec2-50-17-155-14.compute-1.amazonaws.com/maps/317
 ** CDO 1:50k topo - http://ec2-50-17-155-14.compute-1.amazonaws.com/maps/311
 * CDO watershed and other GIS data -
http://www.philgis.org/Miscellaneous/CagayanDeOroRiverWatershed/CDO_River_Basin.htm
 * Garmin road (OSm derived) and contour (SRTM derived) maps -
http://esambale.wikispaces.com/osmphil_garmin

===
[0] http://reliefweb.int/taxonomy/term/188
[1] http://reliefweb.int/taxonomy/term/9748