[talk-ph] Announcing "Participatory mapping and LGU decision support tools for Disaster Risk Reduction" Project

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 04:23:55 UTC 2013

Dear everyone,

======================

ESSC [0] in partnership with the World Bank's East Asia Pacific (EAP)
Disaster Risk
Management [1] portfolio and the Department of Interior and Local Government [2]
will be implementing a six month project on "Participatory mapping and
LGU decision
support tools for Disaster Risk Reduction".

This project focuses on the needs of the Department of Interior and Local
Government (DILG) to support LGUs to prepare/formulate risk-sensitive
land-use plans, structural audits of public infrastructure and disaster
contingency plans.

Key objectives are:
* *Support growth of the OpenStreetMap (OSM) community:*  Leveraging
  participatory mapping methodology together with the OSM tools
  and web-based map platform has proven to be an effective approach to
  community engagement and data collection.
* *Support customization of InaSAFE [4]:*  The decision support tool component
  of this program will leverage the InaSAFE initiative which until now has
  been mostly developed and implemented in Indonesia for the purpose of
  contingency planning.

Major activities includes:
* Development of training materials customized for the needs of PH users,
  specifically, to LGUs.
* Training and mapping activities to selected LGUs.
* Development and customization of InaSafe extensions for LGUs based on
  user needs assessment
* Initiate community building activities to support the growth of the OSM
  community in the Philippines.

========================

This is our first public announcement of this project and I feel this should be
announced first in the community list.  We will start this project specifically,
the training and mapping activities as soon as the next local
officials within the
respective LGUs are in office.

Key aspects of the project that maybe of interest to PH mapping community are:
* Working with existing communities - all project activities should be
coordinated
  closely with existing communities.  The two critical community we
plan to work with
  are OSM-PH and the Humanitarian OSM Team.
* Tools and data that will be developed and improved should adopt an
open license.
  For data that cannot be added in the main OSM db (i.e. hazards), we
should try to
  encourage adoption of open license.

We will update the list on the upcoming activities as we progress with
the project.
For now, some things I would like to request the list are:
* We are looking for community members who would like to be part of the training
  pool [5]. If your are interested, please send us an application.
* What tools or materials you want developed for the community?  Initially, we
  plan to work on the existing LearOSM [6] materials.  But if you have
other ideas,
  please advise us.
* We want to arrange a meeting with the community to discuss details
of the project.
  Possibly by end of this month.  What would be the best day and time
for you guys?

Thanks!

[0] http://essc.org.ph
[1] http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/COUNTRIES/EASTASIAPACIFICEXT/EXTEAPREGTOPRISKMGMT/0,,menuPK:4078302~pagePK:34004175~piPK:34004435~theSitePK:4077908,00.html