[Talk-us] TIGER tag removal year-end report

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Dec 30 12:56:39 GMT 2009

Hi,

    some of you may remember the "unnecessary TIGER tag removal" process
that I started in August. Of 177 million nodes with superfluous tags,
about 7 million remain today, which means we're almost through.

Quite a number of new nodes with superfluous tags have been added over
the course of the past three months, indicating that the import script
that produces them (or pre-made OSM files created by that script) are
still floating around. My script has caught these and removed the excess
tags there as well, but after I am done I will not repeat the effort on
a regular basis.

Until now my script has taken care to limit its changesets to individual
counties, but I will now run a few cleanup jobs designed to collect the
remaining bits an pieces (every now and then an upload fails because
someone has edited a node in the mean time). These cleanup jobs will use
1x1 degree square bounding boxes and not be limited by county borders.

I expect the final cleanup to run for one week at most, after which the
"woodpeck_fixbot" user will quietly leave the US stage. I hope the whole
thing was useful to some people.

Bye, & have a good 2010
Frederik