[Talk-us] US Chapter temporary Board Nomination

Thea Clay thea at cloudmade.com
Thu Feb 11 17:37:43 GMT 2010

Hi,
I'll officially throw my hat in as well. I accept the nomination to run for the temporary board of the U.S. Chapter of OSM.

I have been active in OpenStreetMap for about a year. A majority of my work has been focused on planning mapping events, building community partnerships and encouraging OSM contributions/use by organizations throughout the US. This includes (among other things) organizing and running the Atlanta Mapathon last October, the Austin, Texas Mapathon (coming in Spring 2010), developing a mapping program for 4-H's Science, Engineering, and Technology Project, developing a mapping program for the Georgia Public Library System that includes librarian training and GPS checkout, and of course mapping my neighborhood and hometown. I am also a regular participant in the conference calls for both the OSM US Local Chapter Working Group and the US SOTM Planning Committee.

Outside of OSM, I have experience managing the creation and incorporation of non-governmental organizations, writing (successful) non-profit funding and grant proposals and acting as an organizational liaison to public and private partners. If elected to the temporary board there are three primary areas where I feel my skills could benefit the US Chapter:
1.) Building an open, responsive and efficient organizational structure that can guide the chapter through the process of incorporation, full-term board elections and first national conference.
2.) Working in conjunction with the OSMF to establish a mutually beneficial Chapter Agreement that both preserves the goals, bylaws and core values of OSM and respects the 'spirit of the laws' of each locality.
3.) Creating a sustainable funding strategy for the US OSM Chapter/securing initial donations to support the organization through incorporation and the first year of operation.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best,
Thea Clay