[Talk-us] Fwd: Re: [OSM-talk] Mapquest launches site based on OSM!

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Sun Jul 18 23:28:15 BST 2010

* Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> [2010-07-09 16:19 -0500]:
> Also, I see they are rendering highway shields. Didn't I see a big
> discussion about that here recently? :)
>
> Wonder if they are using the route relations to render them...

As I've been (kind of) working on US highway shields, I was curious about
this, too.  Since they've now put their mapnik stylesheets on github, I
checked it out, and they're not using route relations.

They only support US and Interstate shields (as people have noted) and
they just use the ref field, stripping off the 'US' or 'I' at the
beginning.  (Interestingly, it looks like they took the wiki text about
using a space to heart; it doesn't look like refs of the form "I-95", with
dashes, will be processed at all, although "I95", with no separator,
will.)

I don't see any special cases for multiple route membership, and it looks
like road segments that belong to more than one route don't get any
shields rendered.  (That, to me, will be the biggest benefit of
route-relation-based shield rendering, if anyone gets it working
properly.)

--- --
He won't hurt me.  I'm wearing my magic breastplate.
                       -- Famous Last Words, #937