[Talk-us] TIGER 2011 Road Tiles

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 18:11:49 GMT 2012

Hi all,

In order to assist with road name checking I've set up a Mapnik layer
rendering from TIGER 2011 ROADS data. It consists of a transparent tile
with a white line (of varying thickness for the different MTFCC's) for the
road and white text for the road's full name. I did this with JOSM in mind
(which will stack imagery layers). I haven't tested it in P2 but would be
happy to set up a different style for users of P2. It's designed for higher
zooms and I don't do anything particular for low zooms. In fact it looks
pretty noisy and slow, but it still works.

The JOSM TMS URL is http://{switch:a,b,c}.
tile.openstreetmap.us/tiger2011_roads/{zoom}/{x}/{y}.png

I have grand plans to create vector layers as well (to allow for
spot-importing of TIGER data), but I don't have time to do that currently.
Let me know if you have any ideas to make it better.

-Ian