[Talk-us] A P2 deployment with a NHD layer

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Nov 19 03:52:48 GMT 2012

For the last couple weeks I've been working on getting NHD into P2 and I've
now got a working preview at
http://took.paulnorman.ca/potlatch2/potlatch2.html

This P2 instance will take you to the east side of Missouri in the 0714
basin. This is the south end of the 07 region and covers part of Illinois.

The NHD layer is being served by snapshot-server off of my home computer so
it may be slow as it's not properly deployed and it's behind a home internet
connection.

With the styles that come up by default the gray lines with orange outlines
are features from NHD which aren't marked as completed and the fainter gray
with green have been marked as completed. I've marked some ponds as
completed where there weren't any signs of them on the imagery.

You can change the NHD style by going to Background -> Load Vector File.

The NHD tagging doesn't represent a finished product.

A few warnings:

- NHD represents riverbanks as giant polygons. These slow down my server and
it may take a while to respond. That's why I chose this starting point to
view, there aren't any giant ways right beside it.

- The tagging is not yet complete. The main impact in this basin is that
some points may have unconverted data. I believe all ways will be
appropriately tagged.

- The geometries are not simplified.

- Snapshot-server doesn't fit nicely into any of the traditional
classifications of imports. In any case, at this point it's a proof of
concept.

- I may at times randomly shut off the server as I do work with it.

- There may be some scaling issues with snapshot-server

- The default cyclestreets style for the NHD layer is not great

More information on the P2 merging tool can be be found at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potlatch_2_merging_tool