[OSM-Talk-ZA] Durban now has hi-res imagery
nroets at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 21:38:43 GMT 2007
> Russell Cloran noticed that Durban is now hi-res in Yahoo imagery,
I subconsciously suspected it for a while now.
> Let the mapping begin!
A few words of advice :
1. Don't bother with Potlatch.
2. Use the modeless JOSM + the YWMS plugin.
3. A 1024x768 display or better will allow you to quickly download all
the images quickly. Disable all the panes ("tags" / "author" /
4. Set the zoom slider to 180m or so.
5. Start in the (upper/lower) left corner when downloading. If the
image includes a blank strip on the right you can get rid of it by
slight adjusting your next download to the right.
6. Zoom in to 90m or so for editing.
7. I'm almost always in 'N' (extend) mode. I shift click the first
node of a way, then draw it to completion with normal clicks, then
look for a nearby new way.
8a. Leave residential ways tagless until the end. Then Search for
b. Filter out "natural" and other ways by searching for "type:way
natural:" with the remove option selected.
c. Then "Add" "highway=residential" to all remaining (tagless) ways.
Sometimes I'm unsure if a certain way is really residential, but it's
better than no tag. (The wikipedia idea of "plunging ahead", hoping
someone else will fix it).
9. At this stage I still feel it's better to 2 km of divided highways
as undivided (1 "way" object) than 1 km of divided highway with all
the proper tags (oneway), junctions and slipways.
During the last 2 days I made good progress in the Linksfield / Linden
areas of Johannesburg using these tricks.
More information about the Talk-ZA