[OSM-talk] Mapping weekend in Växjö, Sweden, Sept 29 - Oct 1

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Aug 31 12:48:05 BST 2006

It sounds like the English have great fun with all these mapping
weekends, so I decided to organize one for myself.  I have no idea
if anybody cares to join me, but you are all welcome.

Växjö (56.88° N, 14.80° E) is a cathedral town of 50,000
inhabitants in south-eastern Sweden, well within reach from
Denmark, Germany, and Poland, about 200 km from Malmö and 350 km
from Stockholm.

I'm arriving on Friday afternoon September 29 and will stay at the
youth hostel just north of the town, prices starting at 155 SEK
(17 euro) per night, http://www.vaxjovandrarhem.nu/

I wish I could point you to Wikitravel for more details, but they
really don't have much, http://wikitravel.org/en/V%C3%A4xj%C3%B6

In addition to mapping the city for OSM, this weekend will be a
photo safari for Wikitravel and Wikipedia.  The point is to
capture as much of the city as possible while in town.  Since this
is a mapping weekend, I hope to contribute geocoded photos to
Wikipedia, something it needs to improve on.  Of the 800,000
images on the Wikimedia Commons, less than 1,000 are geocoded,
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Media_with_locations

Two events are booked already during the weekend:

At 2 pm on Saturday September 30, I will give a public lecture at
the city library, about the volunteers behind websites such as
Wikipedia and Project Runeberg, and of course Wikitravel and
OpenStreetMap.  Library website, http://www.vaxjo.se/bibliotek/

At 2 pm on Sunday October 1, there is a wiki meetup at the cafe of
Teleborg Castle, just south of town. Wiki meetups are announced on
the Swedish Wikipedia (http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:WT), but
are open to all friends of wikis, including OpenStreetMap.  You
can sign up there if you intend to come, but you don't have to.
Castle, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleborg_Castle

I have put a rough planning map of Växjö on my OSM wiki user page,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Vaxjo.jpg
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/User:LA2

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)