[OSM-talk] dojo-style AJAX widget for OSM?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Mon May 29 14:09:06 BST 2006

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 01:28:16PM +0100, Tom Carden wrote:
> On 29/05/06, Frank O'Dwyer <fod at opencycleroute.org> wrote:
> >The latest version of the Dojo toolkit has AJAX widgets that interface
> >nicely with google and yahoo maps. How hard would it be to get OSM
> >interfacing to the same API?
>
> That said, there's been talk of using OpenLayers www.openlayers.org
> with OpenStreetMap, since it's much more mature.  When the OpenLayers
> folks get their Mercator projection bits out in the open, I imagine
> that there'll be pretty quick changeover.

You can modify the projection in which a map is displayed already.

An example is available at
http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/freemap.html :

            map = new OpenLayers.Map( $('map'), {maxExtent: new
OpenLayers.Bounds(33861, 717605, 330846, 1019656), maxResolution:
296985/1024, projection:"EPSG:2805" } );
            var basemap = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS( "Boston",
                "http://boston.freemap.in/cgi-bin/mapserv?",
                {map: '/www/freemap.in/boston/map/mass.map', layers:
'border,water,roads', format: 'png'} );

Bounds is the extent in the units that the projection determines:
maxResolution is degrees/pixel at the most zoomed out.

If there is more that OpenLayers needs to support in this regard, please
let me know.

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer