[OSM-talk] Being Constructive, was: Topology

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Apr 24 14:50:49 BST 2007

Hi,

> "Checkout the code, make the changes they want, then submit a diff
> for REVIEW AND POSSIBLE INCLUSION, instead of just shooting  of
> their keyboards."
>
> Read the above again. Back ? OK, please tell me, taking into
> account the complete paragraph as written in my previous post, how
> and where that cuts of thinking, planning and providing guidance
> about future technical development.

I feel that there are certain kinds of meaningful and valuable
contributions that cannot be expressed in "a diff", and thus
obviously no "review and possible inclusion" of the diff is possible.

By creating an atmosphere in which anyone who has an issue but is
unable - for whatever reason, be it his own incapability, the
complexity of the issue, lack of time or pure sloth - to "submit a
diff" must expect to be treated like a nuisance, you're actually
discouraging these people from voicing, or, if you're successful,
from even forming an opinion.

Bye
Frederik