[OSM-talk] UK Administrative Boundaries (was: UK: Trunk-Primary)

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 14 23:52:45 BST 2007

Stephen Gower wrote:
>Sent: 14 August 2007 11:33 PM
>To: OSM Talk
>Subject: [OSM-talk] UK Administrative Boundaries (was: UK: Trunk-Primary)
>
>On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 02:46:36PM +0100, Abigail Brady wrote:
>>
>> Right now we have complete boundaries for Leicestershire & Rutland, and
>the
>> London boroughs of Enfield, Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets and the
>City
>> of London.
>
>  How, out of interest?  Are these physically marked in real life
>  somehow, or have they come from another source?

Rutland was done principally from the NPE maps plus some research on the
boundary changes in various official documents which discuss some slight
subtle changes, mainly around Stamford. Many of the roads crossing the
boundary also have "welcome to" signs which helped confirm the position.

I believe Abi's London boundaries have been obtained from slightly less
pleasant research, ie walking along the streets and finding where the names
on the rubbish bins etc change.

The big rural counties are more difficult to define although the NPE can be
used for the majority. Research is needed for the boundary commission
changes and where new counties have been established (West midlands for
instance) its probably going to be difficult to do it precisely.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson
Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk